Bad blood shared as Ceiber take 3 points from Trefelin

Trefelin hosted Penrhiwceiber on Wednesday night looking to continue their unbeaten run. In the fixture at Ceiber last week the match finished 2 – 2. Both teams wanted to go one better and take 3 points away. It was a match where the Ref shined for all the wrong reasons which sparked a few differences of opinion shown mostly through the rather passionate fans.

It was a rainy and windy night at Ynys Park but that was overshadowed by a controversial and entertaining game. Kick off was Ceiber’s in grey and black while the home side were in all red. Both teams began the game well and both got a few early half chances to show for it. It was a game that was uncomfortable for both keepers as they had to be constantly on alert although not really having to make many saves. Despite many chances for both sides, there were not many shots on target.

The first real chance came to Ceiber as Ricky Carter who dominated the first half hit the crossbar from inches out with a shot that bounced over the keeper but did not dip quickly enough to see the opener. After that the away side had emerged much better in the first half. Later on in the half, Carter would miss another chance where the net should have bulged. A cross from the right met his head in acres of space but he could only divert it wide.

The Ceiber number 10 would redeem himself though as he calmly tucked away a penalty on the 30th minute to put his side ahead after Sebastian Magget was tripped in the box. Ceiber would double their lead minutes after through their number 7 who got through on the left side again and placed his finish through the keeper’s legs. Cieber could have made it 3 just before the end of the half when a low cross from the right narrowly missed Carter’s foot. He could have had a first half hatrick himself.

So after a disappointing first half how would Trefelin respond? The home side dominated the second half in possession, territory and chances. The first outrage at the ref in the match was from Trefelin as they felt they should have had a penalty. The challenge in the box was similar to the one punished in the first half but the ref waved it off.

It got more frustrating for Trefelin as their chances were falling to the wrong people. Joseph Jones and Travis Monks Landeg both missed clear goal scoring opportunities minutes apart. But Ceiber’s defence seemed to be on edge when it came to set plays. They didn’t help themselves with all the fouls they committed. This was another thing the ref was scrutinised for. He was inconsistent in his choices to give out cards and Trefelin will feel hard done by given that they made a lot less fouls but came out with more bookings.

With 20 minutes left it was clearly not Trefelin’s night as their frustrations grew with the ref and their missed chances. The chances fell to all the wrong people for Trefelin so they lacked the finishing component they usually have. On another night, the reds perhaps would have won the game and convincingly considering their chances. With their usual standards, Trefelin would have expected to score 4 or 5 of those chances they had.

You could say that Ceiber escaped with 3 points as Trefelin deservedly pulled one back with substitute Richard Rian through a scrappy and poorly defended corner. It was of course too little too late and Trefelin’s league frustrations continue. Penrhiwceiber were fairly happy about the win if not too happy as they stirred up a bit of bad blood between the sides after the match. The match finished 2 – 1 to Ceiber.


Leave a Reply