Friday Night Football at it’s best – BFL V PTT

Under the floodlights at Old Road on a Friday night where Briton Ferry and Port Talbot Town face off – No better place to be!

The home side got the game underway and right from the whistle the Port Talbot fans, who had made the short journey to the home of their rivals, had boosted the atmosphere and set up the game. As a result, the visitors struck first inside 10 minutes 

Dylan Thomas nicked the ball in the midfield and chipped it in to Morgan Thomas who was free in the area. The striker clinically nodded the ball into the bottom right hand corner. It was Port Talbot’s first sniff of goal, and they capitalised with quality. 


The away side had a spring in their step. A bit of genius play from Jackson Hall set himself up for a clearshot on  goal. His right footed curler was acrobatically saved by Conah McFenton diving to his right.

Briton Ferry then dominated the possession in the half but PTT dominated the chances. On the counter the Ferry centre backs were exposed and isolated as their wing backs pushed forward. Patrick Finnerall used this to his advantage and got the ball in a 2 on 2 situation. He skipped the last man like he wasn’t there as Keon Watts lost his marker and met Finnerall’s ball across goal sliding in to the net with it. They were 2 up at half time and the away side were full of confidence. The mental battle was won by the incredible travelling fans, being one of the loudest we’ve seen.

They got even louder in the second half but it seemed to have the opposite effect as Ferry came out with a goal 2 minutes into the half. A long throw saw the ball bounce around in the Port Talbot area. It was Tyler Brock who then volleyed it in to the top right corner with precision. What a finish it was, it took skill and quality and that’s what the Ferry number 10 had.

It was perfect timing and the comeback was well and truly on. After that came a dry spell in the match up until the 70th minute. But it was kept entertaining by the unstoppable PTT crowd who were the game’s spark right through. They could not be silenced, they echoed through the ground with a few rather loud and quite memorable chants.

On said 70th minute the game was re-lit with a Briton Ferry equaliser. Anther poorly defended set piece from PTT and finally the home side punished it. It was Luke Jones who got the vital touch for his side. 

So it was all square but you felt that with the endeavour and entertainment of the game, there had to be a winner. And there was…

It came through the second goal of the game for Tyler Brock. The Blues just had not learnt, as a deep free kick on the right was whipped in by Steve Davey and it was met by a towering header which went to the back post and was tapped in by Brock to complete his brace and the Ferry comeback of dreams.

Unfortunately for the neutral, that was the last goal of an incredible game. It could not have been as good as it was without the fans. Despair for a heartbroken PTT side who just didn’t have the stamina to keep in the game and so lost their 2 goal advantage and came away with nothing. However for Ferry, it is 2 consecutive derby day victories and a night where the Reds climbed to 4th in the table.

Leave a Reply