Goytre United second after Taffs Well victory

Goytre United hosted Taffs Well on Friday night in the hopes of a second consecutive win, meanwhile the away side were going for their first win of the season. A win for the home side would see them climb right to the top.

Goytre were playing from left to right in blue while Taffs Well were playing in their yellow and black kit. The away side kicked off and the game began as all Welsh League games do – physically. It was, at first, very obvious that both teams were approaching the game defensively and cautiously. In the early stages both sides were compact and narrow and neither side found it easy to create chances.

Goytre United however, seemed to settle into the game quicker than their opponents and began to dominate territory and possession. As Goytre’s confidence grew in attack, they became more open to counters from their opposition. The first standout chance fell to the team in yellow. The Goytre keeper was forced into two quality saves from point-blank range after his defence looked rather unsettled and shocked by the Taff’s Well attacks.

Both team’s defences were kept busy as the game became a back and forth encounter. A mistake in the Taff’s Well defence saw Roberts (7) creep through into the box with quick dribbling, but he could not find the finishing touch for Goytre.

Taff’s Well took the lead through Jason Bertelli (9) who found space in the box and, with composure, tucked away the game’s opener into the bottom right.

So how would United reply in front of their fans? They responded with a goal! A controvercially given penalty. A long throw was met by a crowd of players and, in the ref’s view, was touched by the arm of an opposing player. It was questionable, as the ball seemed to come off the head of a Goytre man. Penalty or not, it was finished very well by captain Dale Griffiths (4).

At the break the scores were equal, but the home side were the more confident performers. Could they carry this confidence over into the second half? Would they begin to take risks? Could one extra gamble win them the game?

Second Half

As they returned for the second half it was clear that their confidence had carried over from the first half and after a half of domination, it was Goytre’s turn to defend and break. The outcome was an incredible goal from a counter attack. Number 11 (Tom B) was the man in the middle for the home side and he began the rapid counter. The ball was eventually shifted down to the right where a sensational ball was sent into the box, and nodded in by substitute Adam Jenkins (16).

It was 2 – 1 and many would say that the comeback was deserved. Taff’s Well had had their confidence knocked out of them and, unfortunately for them, they could not get back into the game, despite a late flurry of opportunities. After the whistle blew, Glenhafod Park erupted. It had finished 2 – 1 to Goytre United. They are now in 2nd place on goal difference, at least until tomorrow’s games are over.

Goytre United keeper Luke Martin receives treatment after a brave save.

Leave a Reply