New signing James Hill fires in three points for Newport City

The first match of the 2018/2019 FAW division 3 season kicked off with Newport City hosting Tredegar Town in Spytty park.

The teams:

Newport City
1. Tom Pass (Gk)
2. Jordan Flancombe
3. Solomon Tyler St.Clair
4. G.Palladino
5. Sam Craves
6. Andrew Muscat
7. Martyn Mickiewicz
8. Patrick Pope
9. Nathan Doe
10. M.Flynn
11. James Hill

12. Nick Simcock 14. Andy Coleman 15. James Alloway
16. K.Leigh 17. Mark Danford

Tredegar Town
1. Richard Webb (GK)
2. Ryan Caniff
3. Jack Doolan
4. Brett Morgan
5. Thomos Jones
6. James Price
7. Josh Jones
8. Daniel Bottle
9. Tomos Lynch
10. Craig Hewit
11. Ian Pott

12. Cameron Herring 14. Lewis Parfft 15. Nathan Pott
16. Owen Thomos 17. Kris Morris

The Match

The matched kicked off at 7:30pm and Newport City were in white and blue, while Tredegar were in all red. It was officiated by Mathew Street, The hosts got off to a flying start as they scored within the first 30 seconds of the game  through rapid new signing, James Hill. The match certainly did get underway quickly. Was it a sign of things to come?

It was not unfortunately. Tredegar had a good response with frequent spells of high pressure however nothing was to come in the first half for the away side. Eventually the whistle blew for half time after a quite lacklustre half. There was only 1 shot on goal and that was the goal in the first minute. There was no argument that the match needed to change in the second half in the interests of both teams and certainly in the interests of the fans.

The teams were even in the first half so anything was on the cards for the second. The game was there for the taking. But who would capitalise? The next goal was in important one if there was a going to be one. If Newport were to double the lead you felt that the game was not open enough for Tredegar to comeback. So Tredegar needed to score but also needed to be cautious of a Newport counter and especially cautious of goal scorer, James Hill who surley would be punishing on the counter.

The second half was unfortunately similar to the first but without a goal. Nevertheless both teams threatened and Newport City probably should have doubled their lead. But due to Tredegar’s keeper, Richard Webb’s heroics Tredegar kept in the game. Neither teams were able to find another breakthrough as each defence stood firm and the game would finish 1 – 0 to Newport City.

In the last meeting between these two sides the game finished 2 – 2, so in a game that promised goals the fans saw the opposite. Perhaps it was first day nerves or poor match sharpness but despite a slightly unconvincing performance from the hosts, they did manage to capture the three points to get their season underway. Tredegar should not be to disappointed however because even though they came out empty handed, there are still some positives to take away, for example their goalkeeper’s performance showed class and he could be crucial for them if they were to slip into a relegation fight. Next, Newport travel to Penydarren BGC on Wednesday while Tredegar host Panteg.

Leave a Reply